In addition, we also had every other generation of electrical wiring in the house. Yep - BX, Romex, fuse boxes, you name it, we had it. And it had to be changed out. Lots of things were done wrong and we wanted to get it cleaned up. So, the guys got going and before I knew it, the basement was full of old wires with lots of new stuff installed.
Look at all that shiny new wiring going into the electrical box!
I was a bit sad that we had to take out the old pearl button electrical switches. But they were made for the knob and tube wiring and can't be reused. The good news - I found reproductions at House of Antique Hardware!
After lots of hard work, we have all new wiring in place. The drywall guys will patch it all up and it will look great.
And while all that electrical was getting done, we did a pretty major overhaul of the plumbing as well. The kitchen plumbing was updated, to meet new building codes. We installed new bathtubs in both first floor bathrooms. And of course we put a whole new bathroom in the Tenant's Master Suite.
|New First Floor Bathtubs & Insulation|
|New Tenant's Master Bath|
The Owner's Master Bath also got a major update. The original space had lots of walls, where they really weren't necessary. It made the space feel very cramped. We tore them out and suddenly it felt much larger. But we still had a challenge. If you are a tall person, you can't see your face in the bathroom mirror. Tough for shaving or makeup, unless you bend over the whole time!
So when we installed the new skylight, we used a larger unit and were able to extend the wall up. Jason is 6' 7", so he checked it out for us!!! And there will be lots of natural light when you're getting ready. Very cool!
Now we just need the City to come out and inspect - and we're ready to move forward!