Of course just as they were getting set up, we got a brief January thaw. The temperatures hit an amazing 40 degrees (downright balmy!!) and the snow had all started to melt. They were predicting heavy rains overnight. That can be a flooding nightmare, since the water can't soak into the frozen ground. It tends to go wherever it can, often into a nice empty basement! And as it started to rain, I noticed this little puddle in the back corner when I locked up the house at 6 pm. I took a picture to see how much change we would get overnight.
At 8:00 the next morning, this is what we had waiting for us. 2 inches of water at the low end of the basement. Okay, so maybe not a lake, but still a big surprise after months of dry basement.
JUST IN TIME Waterproofing!!! Concrete Presciptions quickly drained the water and set about cutting out a swath of concrete around the perimeter of the basement and garage. They discovered a drainage network of terra cotta pipes that had been put in originally, but in the 70+ years since the house was built, they had become filled with silt and tree roots.
|Water started flowing immediately as old pipes were removed|
|Adding crushed stone around new drainage pipe|
|Concrete finishing step over dimple board|
Now we're ready for a spring thaw and lots of spring showers……that is if spring every gets here!